Thursday, February 6, 2020

Monster-in-Law


Fast forward to 2020. So much has changed in the last several years. Graduations, marriages, births…these changes have made a monster out of me. TBF, a monster more in line with Cookie Monster than a Demogorgon, but a monster nonetheless. I’d like to think I’m a koala-esque, cuddly, and fun to be around Monster-in-Law. Here’s hoping there is agreement among my children! BTW, why the term “Monster-in-Law” to begin with? ¯\_()_/¯

As a mom of only boys, I can without a doubt say that daughters-in-law are a different kind of happy. I can’t imagine what it would be like to not have awesome ones because that’s what I have: truly exceptional daughters-in-law each unique in their giftedness. It used to be a tradition of mine to give gifts to my loved ones around my birthday. They have been such a great gift to me that I wanted to share these words as my public gift to them. That gift is too great not to share so I decided to gloat here.

Periwinkle is a balanced mom with an admirable wellness focus. She is consistent, supportive, and I recently learned, an exceptional written word communicator. One of my greatest joys has been observing her interactions with my son and see the level of mutual respect they have. Since their little one, Mr. Squishy Face, was born some years back, it has been a pleasure watching them parent together. The other great joy I have is seeing how unconditionally she supports my son’s dreams and aspirations. Periwinkle is through and through the best life partner My Little Chicken could have!

Hard-working. If I had to select only one word to describe Smooth Operator, that’s the one I choose. I have a feeling she’s an employer’s dream! In the years I’ve known her, watching her work ethic and dependability has been impressive. She is stable yet forward thinking. Watching her give cuddles to her babies is so very sweet! She likes surprises and is unable to defer the joy of knowing what those are. As a life partner, she is patient, accepting, and compromising. She makes it happen for the good of her family. I frankly don’t know how she has the energy but I’m sure the three young ones will do their best to zap it from her!

Our newest family addition, Cassia, is warm, dedicated, and infectiously charming! When she says “Hi mom!” it warms my heart almost as much as her little one, Bubbles. Cassia is unassumingly bright and her love for her family cannot be confined to a few words. She has learned to just roll with the fact that our family’s sardonic humor is here to stay. When I pull an r/oldpeoplefacebook type question, she generally answers it without mocking me. Watching her love my son just the way he is and because of who he is makes me feel like my prayers for him have been answered.

Those prayers continue as Cinci’s future life partner is yet to be discovered/determined but I know that whoever they are will join a group of extraordinary young women who are exceptional life partners and excellent moms. They live out that “better than the promises is the day we got to keep them” and I love them!



No comments:

Post a Comment