Friday, December 2, 2011

Built to Last

One of my favorite parables Jesus told was the parable of the men that wanted to live by the sea. We all know that in real estate it’s all about – location, location, location. Beachfront homes are fun even though insurance tends to be very expensive. You can read about it in Matthew 7:24-27.

There is also a cute children’s song about this very thing. I’ve abbreviated it for your enjoyment – “The wise man built his house upon the rock…And the rain came tumbling down…Oh, the rain came down. And the floods came up…And the wise man's house stood firm. The foolish man built his house upon the sand…And the rain came tumbling down. Oh, the rain came down. And the floods came up…And the foolish man's house went "splat!...”

I am continually amazed at how God, through such seemingly simple yet direct lessons, reminds us of what makes things, in this case, a building, lasting. The principle, though, can be applied to more than must building. I admit, however, that all this came to mind while I was hanging up my clothes yesterday.

The Hooligans and I moved to a rental this past summer. We’ve had to adapt to very different sleeping and space arrangements than any of us were previously used to experiencing. The new arrangements caused me to take a bedroom without a closet! I had a HUGE walk-in closet in my old house. Now, I would not only have to share the one bathroom with two teenage boys (I must give them kudos because they’ve been very cognizant of how important it is for them to keep the bathroom in reasonably decent and clean condition) but I had no place to hang up my clothes. In the greater scheme of life, this is minor, but you just don’t know the number of dresses I own! Much like a great superhero came Triple M to the rescue.

Triple M offered to put of a closet rod with brackets. Now, we had only been dating a few months and I was not 100% confident that I would like this little project. I was already upset I did not have a closet and I was concerned that this would turn out badly. In hindsight, I should have known better. INTJ males are not known for doing things 99.9% -- they tend to do things 100%+!

We went shopping for the supplies and he came over with all the things needed and some power tools. It was cute. I have to tell you, this is the fanciest exposed closet I have ever seen. I was apprehensive about loading up all the clothes but it held up. This is how Triple M builds things. He builds them with care and he builds them to last.

I am blessed that his “building” abilities don’t stop there. He is proactively helpful, and considerate. He is the kind of person that you can call in an emergency and have the confidence he can help you. He puts us first (The Hooligans and me) more than he should most times, and speaks the truths that need to be spoken in love most of the time (he’s human, after all). He puts God first and others right after. I’ve seen him be selfless beyond need. All of that reminds me of the rest of that children’s song – “So, build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ... And the blessings will come down. Oh, the blessings come down as your prayers go up…So build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ.”

I wonder if the beachfront houses had closets???


No comments:

Post a Comment