Thursday, July 30, 2015

My Cup Runneth Over...But with what?

Have you ever heard the story of the old farmer and his son? The farmer had worked in the fields for many years. One day his horse ran away. When the neighbors heard the news, they came to find out what happened. I don’t know if they were genuinely concerned or just curious. They wanted to comfort the farmer and said, "Such bad luck,” The farmer replied, "Who knows; we shall see."  

The next morning, the horse returned, bringing with him three other wild horses. The neighbors again heard the news (I don’t even think they learned about this through Facebook or Twitter but they came fast!). "How wonderful," the neighbors said. "Who knows; we shall see." once again replied the old man.

The day after, the farmer’s son tried to ride one of the wild horses. He was thrown from the horse and broke his leg. The neighbors came over again to offer their sympathy on their seemingly continuing bad luck. What do you think the farmer replied? You are correct! He replied, "Who knows; we shall see."

A few days later, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Since the son's leg was broken, the son was not drafted. The neighbors attempted to celebrate with the farmer given how things turned out. The response? "Who knows; we shall see." said the farmer.

When we’ve had our fill of life circumstances, we are usually quick to assume they are either blessings or trials. At least I do. Even in the old “is the glass half full or half empty?” question, we are tasked with making the decision one way or another. What would happen if instead we replied, “Who knows; we shall see.”? What would happen if we allowed some time to determine God’s response to a particular situation and for Him to let us know His will throughout it?

As I think of the neighbors’ well-meaning assumptions about the various circumstances the farmer and his son endured, I think about how I assume blessings or trials on the “cups” of which other people must partake. This is especially true when thinking about the life paths of my own children and the decisions they must make. As I observe their “cup”, full of opportunity and blessing, I often ignore that to them, the cup is full of unknowns and bittersweet options. Their “cups runneth over” but I, even as a mom, cannot say with certainty with what.

I may be thinking their experience should be like David’s in Psalm 23:5 when David’s cup of blessings and good things overflows, when in their reality, the experience is more like Jesus’ experience asking the Father “if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me” like we see in Matthew 26:39 and Luke 22:42.

I am learning that I don’t always know best, but we can have assurance that “in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28 NIV). I am also confident that, no matter what the cup is filled with, as we remain in God’s will He is faithful in providing the best options and outcomes, so that we can endure any challenge (my paraphrase of I Corinthians 10:13).


In the midst of any situation, I can say outwardly “Who knows; we shall see?”  Inwardly however, I can stand confident knowing He already knows and He has the best solution with our best interest in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment