Thursday, April 21, 2011

Choosing to Love While Risking the Loss

(This was written in August 2010)

“To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.” – Author Unknown

“If I never met you, I wouldn't like you. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't love you. If I didn't love you, I wouldn't miss you. But I did, I do, and I will.” – Author Unknown

Today is a sad day.  Today I found out a member of my church family died unexpectedly and tragically. I have been a member of my new church home for only three months, but already I have grown to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the people there. When I heard the news, I has deeply moved and upset. I did have makeup on when I left for work but you cannot tell it now and it’s just after noon. I have shed contemplative tears, and tears of sadness and pain. I am somewhat surprised. I am typically measured in my reactions, and usually composed at work. Today is a new experience for me and I took some time to wonder “why”.

Letting people in your heart is a choice, and for me, it had been a hard choice until very recently. Due to previous loss, I chose to become conservative in my affections. It’s difficult to let people in when they may leave either through choice, circumstances, death or other uncontrollable (by you) factors.  But then I realized I was missing out on the joys of having the gift of friendship and fellowship if even for a short season. I thank Angela Palmer for this insight.

I accept the seasonality of the relationships I may have with those around me. It reminds me of the flowers sitting at my desk today – they are beautiful and I am working diligently to enjoy them until that time they wither and I have to throw them away. Are they any less beautiful because they are withering away? Not at all! In fact, because I treasure them so, I have pictures of them both literally and in my memory.

I am thankful to know and love, at different levels, in different ways, those around me. It’s a risk for sure but it sure is sweet and beautiful while it lasts. The most beautiful part in it all is future reconciliation when Jesus returns and it won’t be for a season anymore but forever. Surely then we will never part again…”where the charming roses bloom forever, and where separation comes no more...”


No comments:

Post a Comment