Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Handprints

I am continuing on, as Maureen says. For over fours years, I have been captive to the State of Alabama. Well, not the actual “State of Alabama” as in the government but simply residing in this beautiful state. For ten years prior to my move there, I dreamed about it. I dreamed of living in my particular county, in my particular city, close to my particular waterfall, and my particular favorite state park. That dream came true and is now ending; new ones will begin.

There was a lot of crying going on in my room on Monday. As I unpacked and repacked my “nostalgia box”, I came across many small sentimentally adorable cards, pictures, books, clothing items, and mementos created by all my Hooligans – The Original Hooligans and the current Hooligans. I found Muscles coming-home-from-the-hospital outfit and Boricua’s felt picture (you know, the kind back in the day where a picture was printed on felt) at about three months old! I found some poems My Little Chicken wrote about Jesus, and an “All About Me” book by Cinci. All I could think was, “Where has time gone?”

It wasn’t until I found the “handprints” from Kindergarten for both Muscles and Cinci that I truly fell apart. You see, they are the youngest. The Original Hooligans are now 21 and 20. Muscles and Cinci just turned 15 and 13 respectively. I have thus far devoted my life to raising two sets of sons, mostly alone for the last (close to) 22 years. To see the small handprints of now young men was moving to say the least.

I hollered with great urgency for them to come to my room. I think they thought I was dying. It’s nice to know they would come if I were dying. Too bad they don’t show up timely when I need them to do some tall person job like getting a mixing bowl from the top cabinet, or when I need them to vacuum. When they arrived, I could do nothing more but hold up the handprints. They appeared to be amazed. They each put their hands over the “handprints” and could not believe “where the time had gone” either!

All the Hooligans and I have gone through a lot together none of which I would trade for anything in the world. With all the pride in the world I shall shout that I have the bestest sons ever!!! Have there been disappointments? Sure! Have they chosen foolishly from time to time? Of course! Have I? YES J

Through it all, we have learned from each other, cared for each other, and upheld each other. Those handprints are representative of the times they’ve held my hand and I’ve held theirs. Somehow in all these years, we’ve yet to outgrow that. Their hands are manly now, wow, yes, I said “manly” but they still hold mine like little boys. It’s comforting to have stronger hands holding mine. It reminds me of all that God has brought me through in the last 15 years. I totally agree with Ellen White’s statement “We have nothing to fear for the future except as we may forget the way God has led us in the past.” . The handprints of God have left an impression thus far. I pray not to forget as we continue on hand in hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment