Sunday, July 3, 2011

It’s in the Script

Surprisingly (because as discussed previously, my mind’s eye is extremely imaginative), and much to my family and close friends’ chagrin, I am a horrible TV and movie watcher. It seems that when one of them is “forced” to watch something with me, they develop this “I would rather be listening to cats mating or chalk screeching on a chalkboard” look.


For unexplainable reasons, my brain can only remain captive to both obviously and unashamedly fictional themes (think Tom & Jerry) or plausible and/or factually accurate dramas (think original Law & Order). My brain doesn’t have an in between level of acceptance. The latest casualty in this was my great friend, SouthernCharm.

SouthernCharm and I had been vacationing at an undisclosed, reclusive location in the mountains of a southern state. It was very relaxing, very relaxing indeed. SouthernCharm is an amazing external stimulus receiver. She can read from her Nook, listen to the TV, and chat with me all at the same time. I can barely speak and twirl my hair concurrently. She has a gift.

We were watching “Drop Dead Diva”. The premise of the show apparently, is to get as many employment law related topics as upside down as possible. As an HR professional, I simply cannot overlook such atrocities, especially not coming from Lifetime, Television for Women!!! As I question SouthernCharm incessantly about the implausibility of their cases having merit, she turns to me and says, “It’s all in the script”.

“It’s all in the script.” How wonderful it would be to accept that! I imagine that if I was capable of sitting down and taking it in, viewing experiences would be much more enjoyable for everyone – especially everyone else.

That simple line encapsulates, in my opinion, a greater truth, however. Many times in life, we try to explain away the unexplainable. Sometimes it is just as simple as that. Sometimes it’s just easier to be able to accept the status quo of various circumstances. That’s not to say we limit our drive to overcome, but we exercise our willingness to be at peace in spite of what surrounds us. Life would be more enjoyable that way – for everyone.

Have I told you how I feel about commercials?

No comments:

Post a Comment