Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Substance

Matthew 7:1-5 (NKJV) Says: 1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

I was reminded of the above while searching…I was searching with Triple M and The Hooligans. I had high hopes (not in a Frank Sinatra kind of way) for this trek, but alas I was disappointed. I do not want to risk falling squarely into the category I am describing, so I will refrain from details.

I was reminded also of what is meaningful in spiritual matters, what I know to be true about the heart of Jesus and how blessed I am to be surrounded by people of substance, and in particular, Triple M. Yes, shout out again to Triple M because I learn so very much from him!

There is a song by 4HIM called “The Measure of a Man”. Part of the lyrics follow:

This world can analyze and size you up and throw you on the scales
They can I.Q. you and run you through their rigorous details
They can do their best to rate you and they'll place you on the charts
And then back it up with scientific smarts
But there's more to what you're worth than their human eyes can see

Oh, I say the measure of a man is not how tall you stand
How wealthy or intelligent you are
'Cause I've found out the measure of a man
God knows and understands
For He looks inside to the bottom of your heart

And what's in the heart defines
The measure of a man

I don’t know another man like Triple M. The kind that opens doors, and visits his parents just because he wants to. I don’t know another man that actually cares about the people he works with and wants them to be the most competent, fulfilled employees they can be. A man that listens enough to know how to pleasantly surprise you and help you with the loads you carry (including those pesky laundry loads when the washer quits on you). Or a man who you are not ashamed your Hooligans would model after in almost every way. I say “almost” because he is not perfect. He strives for excellence, though and that is good enough for me.

Ellen White wrote about such men (see note below). I am blessed and proud to know at least one. If my sons turn out like him, I would be perpetually proud.

The greatest want of the world is the want of men,--men who will not be bought or sold; men who in their inmost souls are true and honest; men who do not fear to call sin by its right name; men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole; men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.--Education, p. 57.

No comments:

Post a Comment