Monday, August 1, 2011

Having your cake…

About 18 months ago, I was impressed with the fact that I’ve had everything I’ve ever wanted; just never all at the same time. This includes: being in love, living in the location of my dreams, being loved, purchasing a home, having a good hair day, getting along with my children, having turquoise walls, being out of debt, having a fulfilling job, being thin, reaping career success, and being of sound mind.

When I realized this, I was both relieved and concerned. I was relieved because I no longer felt like I was “missing” something during those times that I didn’t have it all (or all together). Then I felt concerned because I felt like I lost the oomph to better myself if I accepted this. I mean, what’s the point in having your cake and not eating it? I never understood why it’s a bad thing to have your cake and want to it eat. Why bake it? Why frost it? Why slice it? Why serve it?...if not to eat it! (and probably have seconds too!)

Triple M, The Hooligans, and I had been discussing finding a church home now that The Hooligans and I relocated to a new area. Well, the area itself is not new as I lived here for about a decade some years back. I live in the same general area as before but not close enough to attend my former church. Our list of requirements was not that extensive. We wanted a church home that is biblically sound with conservative values but without being judgmental. You know, the kind of church you can bring visitors (of any level). I don’t think that’s a lot to ask. In this regard, I absolutely “wanted to have my cake and eat it too”.

I was discouraged in our first attempt. This particular church was recommended by my good friend Wistful. Wistful knows me very well and I trust her insights. We got all dressed up as we usually do, and even though Triple M did not feel well this particular day, we still went. I won’t go into a lot of detail but it was conservative in the “let’s judge exterior behaviors and apply random Bible verses to support our disdain” kind of way. It was not a place I would bring a “lost” person. I have this crazy idea that church is for the lost. I get lost. Lately through God’s Grace, mostly in the arms of Jesus.

We decided that our second attempt would be the church closest to Triple M’s home. It is a newer congregation. I had no idea what to expect. We once again discussed our hopes. One thing I will say about Triple M and The Hooligans is that they are great sports about things. They inspire me to be a better person in this way when I get a little discouraged. Off we went with our church best and…

Frosting!!! Lots and lots of frosting on this cake! The people were friendly, the classes were Bible driven, and the music was fantastic. Oh, I didn’t mention music before. I know. Even though music is not a deal breaker for me, I truly enjoy wonderful music during worship. We are going back next week for seconds. Warm fellowship is truly sweet, just like Tres Leches cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment