Friday, August 5, 2011

Because He first loved me...

(This is Part One of Three so get ready. Part Two will appear on Friday, August 12th)

I wrote this last summer. I won’t provide all the boring and now not relevant background on what started it. Let’s just say someone thought I was not “Christianee” enough. You see, while I hold steadfastly to what I believe, and feel extremely comfortable not having to defend this, I measure, if measure is the right word, others’ relationship with the Lord based on the evidence in their life, and not on what they necessarily profess. If it’s real, it’s lived out loud. You can’t fake loving the Lord, and if you love the Lord, you don’t have to fake it. In my opinion, it’s impossible to hide it (check out Peter trying to deny Jesus successfully for an example).

I’ve often said that I became a Seventh Day Adventist first and later a Christian. What I mean by that is that it’s possible to profess by tradition, doctrinal regurgitation, and behavior, a faith that does not live up to what being a Christian encompasses. Being a follower of Jesus is more than observance, it’s more than tradition, it’s more than a denomination – it’s more than a label.

We like to label things. It begins when we are born. We get a name. If we’re lucky, our parents have enough sense not to name us something “unique” aka ridiculous. Then as we develop, other labels appear. Some are descriptors like happy, quirky, outgoing, reserved, quiet, extroverted, etc. Some are not nice like loser, ugly, pain, know-it-all, etc. Later as adults we get the fun ones, like liberal, conservative, anarchist, etc. Labels by design are descriptors that forewarn the audience of the content. The problem with labels as it relates to people is that people can’t be defined by one label, at least not usually. It’s the inclusivity of it all. We want to belong. The only label that I have accepted as my own is “Christian” since being labeled a Christian would be the biggest affirmation that Christ has changed my life. Asides from that one, I can do without labels.

My biggest issue with labels is that placing all-inclusive labels on people limits our healthy perception. For example, it’s not a secret that my face typically expresses my excitement. However, that doesn’t mean you know me if you don’t know how to interpret those faces. Partly because of my work, and partly because of my temperament (ENTP with ENTJ tendencies--I’m always one point away from either P or J; it’s weird, I know-- aka Choleric/Sanguine) I have trained myself to NOT make faces. So, although you may think you can typically guess how I’m feeling or what I’m thinking, you can’t. I have learned to be very guarded. An extrovert that is guarded is very strange, but I digress by labeling myself. We limit healthy perceptions of others by disregarding conditions and the Lord’s leading when we automatically assign a position or frame of mind to someone without asking them what they really believe or think. I believe this happens within denominations.

There are differences between denominations, this is true. Some differences are self imposed, many based on tradition, a few based on preferences, and others based on different interpretation of particular Bible teachings. With the exception of what may be included in the latter, most differences are not what I believe are salvation issues. A salvation issue (my words) is one that separates us from God, alienates us from a continuing relationship with Jesus, and interferes with the Holy Spirit’s sanctifying work in our lives. If it doesn’t do that, I don’t think it’s an issue worth fighting over. But that’s just me; feel free to disagree.

With that in mind, I wanted to go through our denominational beliefs or creed and give my take on them. I hope that, whatever denomination you are, you take the time to reflect on the same. You may surprise yourself with what you really think and remind yourself of what you should believe. Adventists hold 28 beliefs. When we are baptized, we attest to them all. I’ve yet to meet one that follows them all or believes 100% in each. Something about being human and God allowing us to make our minds up for ourselves…

My commentary on each is simply going to reflect whether I believe it’s a salvation issue or a non salvation issue and why. I am hoping I don’t get dis-fellowshipped after this, but I am simply being honest.

1. Holy Scriptures: The Holy Scriptures, Old and New Testaments, are the written infallible revelation of the will and Word of God. Absolutely a salvation issue. The Bible truly is God’s letter to us. Not only is Jesus revealed throughout, we can see history unfold via prophecy, and receive common sense everyday guidance on daily living topics like health, work, inter personal relationships, and so much more. If we don’t believe what the Bible has to say, then how can we believe God?

2. Trinity: There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. Absolutely a salvation issue. I cannot fathom having a relationship with Jesus without believing that in conjunction with the Father and Holy Spirit, they made available the plan of salvation.

3. Father: God is the loving and merciful creator and ruler of all. Salvation issue. We were designed by God and He makes provision for us. I cannot imagine His Splendor.

4. Son: Jesus was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived to experience temptation and to be an example of the power and righteousness of God. Jesus will return to deliver salvation and order to all. Salvation issue. “No one comes to the Father except through the Son.” Jesus died for us, for me!!! Furthermore, He’s coming back for me soon. Talk about happily ever after and Prince Charming. There is something to that little girl’s longing for a hero to rescue her and carry her off to safety. Jesus is that and so much more.

5. Holy Spirit: Through the Holy Spirit, God inspired the writers of Scripture. The spirit gives us faith and conviction to share the goodness of God with our fellow man. Salvation issue. I don’t know how we could have victory without the Holy Spirit, the Comforter strengthening us.

6. Creation: God has created all things, and set aside the Sabbath as a day of rest in memory of the glory of the creation of the earth and man. Salvation issue. Well, at least the understanding that the Godhead created us in their image and wanted to spend time with us. You can’t have a relationship without spending time together, uninterrupted time. Yes, I am a quality time person so this one is essential for me.

7. Nature of Man: Man and woman were made in the image of God, and are blessed with a free will. We are imperfect, and are thus subject to suffering and death. God calls all to love one another and to care for all of creation. Salvation issue but reflected more in how we treat other people. We need to give people freedom, love, time, and truth for their development. That last part is courtesy of Dr. Tom McFarland. “They’ll know we are Christians by our love.”

8. Great Controversy: There is a great controversy between good and evil, between Christ and Satan. The rebellion provoked by Satan has led to sin and strife between us as well. Although tempted by Satan, man is guided and protected by the Holy Spirit and angels sent by Christ. Salvation issue. A basic understanding of this helps us understand why bad things happen to good people. We are therefore not resentful towards God and hence our relationship is stronger.

9. Life, Death, and Resurrection of Christ. Duh! Absolute salvation issue. His example leads me to be a better person in serving others, His death paid the penalty for my sin, and His resurrection sealed the possibility of my eternal life. That does sound selfish but considering He would have done it for just me (or just you), hey, I’m happy.

TUNE IN NEXT FRIDAY FOR PART TWO!


No comments:

Post a Comment