Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Journal(ism)

As conversationalists, people like me (ENTPs) may be described as fluent, mentally quick, and often enjoy verbal sparring with others. While doing so, we may even switch sides just for the love of the debate. This is good and all, until you say something you wish was retractable, or like the feature in Outlook that allows you to “recall” the message. I don’t know if you’re like me, but when someone tries to “recall” a message I’m like, “Ooh, I wonder what they said they shouldn’t have…” and therefore open the original message quicker than I run to the break room when someone brings chocolate chip cookies!

This switching of sides for giggles and grins backfires from time to time. It’s difficult to prove yourself credible when people don’t know where you really stand on an issue. Although I enjoy a debate, it’s equally enjoyable to me for those I care about to know confidently what my important “isms” are. I am speaking of the “isms” that represent my philosophical, political, moral, and/or belief system.

I had such a backfire, or maybe it was a misfire, I am not sure, last night. All I know is that yesterday while watching episode five of “The Pacific” with Triple M, I began a ridiculous conversation about Military Recruiters and their hideous tactics. My main source of information in my very intellectual (read as misinformed) argument was Michael Moore. Yes, Michael Moore. The guy that dropped out of college, hates guns, will not appear on a wellness poster any time soon, and hates most “isms” that I deeply value, especially capitalism. That guy. That was my one and only source.

I tried to recover; I sure did. Triple M was gracious. He looked disturbed though and while attempting to understand what in the world I was trying to say got the Joe Friday, “Just the facts, ma’am” look on his face. My “recovery” included the wonderful phrase, “We can agree to disagree” except I really didn’t know what I was talking about. I think he forgave me. That or I shall find myself in the presence of his dad (who was drafted back in the day), in front of a podium at Triple M’s house to continue the debate while his dad observes and judges for credibility.

Thankfully, my spirits were lifted when I got home. I had a special parcel from Señorita! She sent me the most beautiful journal with a painting of dogs sitting on beach chairs. This reminded me of another time I didn’t know what I was talking about while searching for the beach (the kind surrounded by an ocean). I was misinformed and misguided on that particular trek, but eventually found the place I meant to find. Señorita also included the loveliest note. She made me sound like golden retriever puppies that smell of cotton candy and have bubbles surrounding them.

I am thankful for the agapism as shown by Señorita in her awesome note. I am thankful that Triple M puts up with my conceptualism even when it’s not filled with intellectualism and Michael Moore, boo you! I am all about capitalism. I’m writing THAT in my new journal!

No comments:

Post a Comment