Friday, August 19, 2011

Because He first loved me...The trilogy ends.

(This is the final installment on my "review" of the fundemental beliefs of the SDA church. Tune in next Friday for my take on "Junior-like salvation"-not the department store kind)

19. Law of God: No if salvation issue means I believe I can be saved by obeying them. The law is a written version, shall we say a temperament or character assessment of God. Why would I want to hurt God’s feelings after all He has done for me by purposely defying Him and ruining my life in the process? So yes, I believe that the Ten Commandments are still valid. Do I believe that I can be saved by keeping them? No. Do I believe I can be lost by breaking them? Possibly. I just don’t think Jesus likes to get slapped in the face. I don’t plan to murder anyone or lie or steal, so those are easy. I would say for me, taking the name Christian in vain probably has had the most effect. Some actions alienate me from Jesus, so those are salvation related.

 20. Sabbath: Maybe I’m dumb, but I’ve never understood why this is separate from the one above. Yes, I believe that the 7th day of the week known as Saturday is the actual day God ordained for us to rest from our labors; actually it was before that at Creation so we could have quality time. It’s so great. But I don’t believe keeping it will save me and I don’t believe it’s more special than the other commandments. Boy, I wish we would focus on “thou shalt not commit adultery” a little more. In this day and age, we also need emphasis on that one. I know it’s a point of contention especially as we get to the end of time and in particular with Rome’s influence on other Protestant churches observance as Sunday. I would go to church both days without feeling any guilt. But I like going to church and I like to be with people that praise and love the Lord every day of the week. Sabbath for some is such drudgery. Have some fun people. God wants to spend time with you and not that I want to speak for Him, but showing a little more enthusiasm about seeing Him would probably make Him happy. By the way, I totally believe in Sabbath preparation and doing only what’s necessary. Don’t label me yet.

21. Stewardship: God doesn’t need our money but wants our heart. This is a personal issue. It may be a salvation issue for those that choose to rob God of what is rightfully His but I can’t say that’s the intent. I think there is a lot of confusion on this topic. For example, some feel that their time is the same as their money. I don’t know quite how to argue against that. I tithe, I do and I’ve seen miracles. Have I always been 100% faithful? I’m ashamed to say I’ve not been but God has treated me more like a daughter than like an IRS agent and I am thankful for that.

 22. Christian Behavior: not a salvation issue to the extent that my behavior doesn’t smack Jesus in the face. I don’t believe that I would be lost if I wore earrings or makeup or painted my toe nails. I do wear makeup and I do paint my toe nails. Please don’t begin looking at my toes! If you do and think I’m going to Hades, please at least say so to me directly! I’ve never been fond of jewelry. I think it’s ridiculous how it’s okay to get a watch when you get engaged, oh, and wear it on your right wrist. The watch can cost $2k but as long as it’s not an engagement ring, it’s okay. It seems to me the modest $250 engagement ring is less offensive, but whatever! I don’t even have my ears pierced so…Tastes are so subjective. So if I’m blessed enough to find someone that will love me enough to want to marry me, and he gives me a ring, I will wear it. I guess after all the above, I may be dis-fellowshipped already, so maybe I don’t have to worry? j/k. I hope you still love me after this.

23. Marriage and the Family: Salvation depends on the Lord! Having a great family is gravy.

 24. Christ's Ministry in the Heavenly Sanctuary: Absolutely a salvation issue. He makes intercession for me. And I bet several of you think I really need it. Seriously though, He is our Advocate and I am happy to accept Him as such. I need Him. I am confident in Him and that His sacrifice is enough.

25. Second Coming of Christ: Christ will physically return with the entire world watching. He will resurrect the righteous of the dead and they and the righteous living will be taken to heaven. All others will die. The fulfillment of prophecy and the present condition of the world indicate that Christ's coming is imminent. I preface this by saying I whole heartedly believe that Christ’s second coming will not be in secret, and will be audible, visible, and known by all as the Bible says. However, I really don’t see someone understanding this differently as a salvation issue.

26. Death and Resurrection: Because we sin, we must die. After death, we will sleep until Christ wakes and resurrects the righteous. Although I believe this, I don’t see someone’s different interpretation as a salvation issue. I’ve belonged to churches that won’t sing “I’ll Fly Away” because it could be misinterpreted but we sing “The Old Rugged Cross”. I don’t get that. In the latter, you can argue we are singing about the instrument and not the Savior. When I fall asleep in Jesus, I will have no sense of time; therefore my next thought is being with the Lord. I do however think it’s a little creepy to assign omnipresent prowess to relatives that have passed on. I will leave it at that.

27. Millennium and the End of Sin: The earth will be occupied not by Jesus, but by Satan for a thousand years. The dead will be judged and no humans shall survive. At the end of the millennium, Jesus and the angels will return to banish Satan and with fire cleanse the earth to remove all trace of sin. I guess by this time I’m safely saved so…

28. New Earth: The redeemed will have an eternal and perfect dwelling with God, and will live without sin. This was part of the point. But we should remember the main point is eternal life with our Lord and Savior.

 If you stayed with me through the end, I look forward to your feedback. I am not looking to argue nor defend any position I presented here and it was not my intent to offend anyone. I don’t think our difference in denominations makes one more “Christian” than the other. We’re supposed to be Christians first, then…whatever. Should there even be a whatever?

If you know me well, you know I equate most experiences with a song. I invite you to sing along with me the words to that simple yet AFLAC (you have to check out www.stuffchristianslike.net to understand that one) hymn, “O, How I love Jesus”

 There is a name I love to hear, I love to sing its worth
It sounds like music in my ear, the sweetest name on earth

CHORUS
O, how I love Jesus, O, how I love Jesus, O, how I love Jesus
Because He first loved me

 It tells me of a Savior’s love, who died to set me free
It tells me of His precious blood, the sinner’s perfect plea

CHORUS


It tells of One whose loving heart can feel my deepest woe
Who in each sorrow bears a part that none can bear below


CHORUS



No comments:

Post a Comment