Thursday, August 18, 2011

Make-up Emergency!

I have a pretty down pat morning make-up routine. I put my hair up in a half ponytail, I spackle tinted moisturizer on my face followed by eyelid concealer, then stare…I stare in amazement or disgust depending on my mood.

After I stared into my fair (read pasty white) freckled face yesterday and finished considering what color eye shadow I was going to use to enhance my fabulous dark chocolate brown eyes, I got ready to put on my favorite (and only) powder foundation. Then – an event of epic and astronomical proportions such as never has occurred to anyone ever on earth: I realized I was out of my famous pink brand Ivory 2 powder foundation.

What do you imagine my reaction was? Do you imagine I shrugged my arms and thought, “No one will notice” and continued on, as Maureen says? INCORRECT. Do you imagine that I searched high and low for another type of foundation? NOPE, wrong again! Do you imagine that I opted for clown face instead therefore not necessitating famous pink brand Ivory 2 powder foundation? No…I did the most logical and sensible thing one does in such cases. I went directly to Facebook and posted the following on the wall of my famous pink brand make-up consultant. I guess we shall call her MKC-“I have a makeup emergency! No more powder foundation =(

Then I waited…well I couldn’t actually wait forever since I had to be at work so I guess then I went to work. While at work, I pondered on my “emergency”.

Regretfully I confess that this has not been my first “make-up emergency”. I have a feeling that you may be like me. Perhaps we’ve used words such as “astronomical, epic, life changing” for events that truly are of little consequence. We don’t appreciate the word “emergency” as we should. How many times in the last 18 months have we heard the ridiculous reports about someone calling 9-1-1 due to a minor slight such as not receiving the correct number of upside down W chicken nuggets? Is this what we’ve come to? Was calling 9-1-1 an option I neglected? I mean, I am rather scary without appropriate make-up and with all the talk of vampires and zombies, I certainly don’t want to be mistaken for one!

The unsuitable and exaggerated use of those words has desensitized us to their true meaning. Tsunamis, earthquakes, famines, droughts, our economy, death…those ARE events of astronomical and epic proportions. Being slightly pale for a couple of days, not so much.

I hope to remember that myself the next time I chip a nail, I get behind a car going the speed limit when I’m in a hurry, or I buy a teal pen by mistake instead of a turquoise one. I tell you, making up emergencies is truly exausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment