Friday, May 20, 2011

More...

There is a game I play with my dear friend Wistful. Out of all the friends I have, I believe she is the most similar to me. We have an incredible way of knowing when we need each other, and knowing when to “step off”. The game we play is the “one-up-you” game. I admit, it’s rather sardonic but it always provides us with perspective. The game is built on the premise that while her life may S-U-C-K, my life S-U-C-K-S more! Now, we are fully aware of the reason for the “game” and not truly trying to “one-up” anyone (I think, I hope **biting fingernails**).

For example, a few weeks ago her car broke down. She texted me. It just so happened that MY car had a “service engine soon” light on and I drive further away to work. Therefore, my car breaking down would be worse. If she called today and said she had a headache, I would tell her my whole face is throbbing because I had a tooth pulled. When she said she was moving to KY for a job, I told her a week later I was moving to AL for a job…

It doesn’t always work out that I have worse things going on or that she has worse things going on. The beauty in this is commiserating as friends and sharing each other’s burdens. You can’t truly do that with just anyone. It takes a special relationship. Life is hard; God is good. We remind each other of that fact. For birthdays, I always receive books and a can of green beans. Green beans represent prosperity. As long as we have green beans and each other, all is well. For her birthday, she always gets clothes. I like clothes and I like to give her things she would not normally purchase for herself. We behave this way because we know each other well and care about each other. We have gone through a lot together and it’s a bond no one can understand.

But what happens when someone that loves you seemingly always, always “one-ups” you with their care, concern, and love? How do you repay that? Can you repay that? What can you do that would be “enough”? How do you know when it is enough? How do you keep it from driving you crazy, you know, the fact you can’t “one-up” THEM! What a problem to have - to be loved that much!

I am now convinced a love like that only comes from God Himself. When I attempted to question “why”, I was given marvelous advice: “Just go with it and accept it.” So I am because “'tis dearness only that gives every thing its value.” Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

I don’t know why he loves me. However, I know his love motivates me to really live my life like I’m loved. I can live my life trying to “one-up” him but I get the feeling that all he wants is for me to let him. That’s game enough for us!

1 comment:

  1. I joined this blog site so I could one-up you with blog postings. . . .just kidding. May your life be filled with green beans and your friends be as wonderful as Wistful!

    ReplyDelete