Friday, May 6, 2011

Postscripts

In my mind, one of the most meaningful expressions of care is a simple note or email. As a “words of affirmation” kind of gal, these messages verify that someone indeed loves me or at least, was thinking about me. It memorializes that moment when the thought of “me” occurred.

I like writing them; I like receiving them. I have a hard time with the space allotted in the small note cards – there never seems to be enough room to say all I want to say to the people I care about. Does that mean I am long winded? I don’t know. Perhaps. Perhaps.

Therefore, I have learned to work within those limitations and “get to the point”. Sometimes the point of writing a note is to say I am praying. Other times, I may just be thinking about someone or remembering him or her in a specific way. There have been times I purposely write notes to get a grip that the world does not revolve around me and I need to remember there are others worth acknowledging. I do the latter often.

In working within the limitations, I have come to treasure the immense value of postscripts, aka “P.Ss.”

Last week was rough. Rough is an understatement. There were work related concerning “surprises” and the tornadoes that struck on April 27th in our area. In the midst of this, my normal schedule of quality time with those I love was thrown into the backseat due to the pressing occurrences. I don’t handle that well. I need my time, I need my lovin’. In between all this, as a response to my insecurities, I received an email from Triple M with the most amazing postscript: “Oh, and nobody can interfere with our happy ending”.

I know, I know. I am one lucky girl. This “P.S.” reminded me of an even greater one. During these trying times of storms, whether literal, spiritual, or even imaginary, there is One who writes a similar postscript as reassurance to us. They are inscribed in several places but my favorites are in two places:

John 14:1"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.

Romans 8:38For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jesus has the most amazing postscripts. What’s your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment