Monday, May 23, 2011

Of which I know nothing…

I like to talk. I like to talk in person, I like to talk on the phone, and I like to talk via smoke signals. I can speak in irony and sarcasm, English and Spanish and Monosyllabic Semi-Grunting, Those of you that know me well can immediately take off the “No, REALLY! I did not know that!” grin off your face. Thanks. I may now continue.

Even though I like to talk, and talk a lot, I am typically measured in what I say. I try to be careful in the words I choose, and I seldom speak of things I know nothing about. From time to time, I jump in and philosophize about topics over my head like ending world hunger, or why turquoise is the best color ever. Those are important topics.

Sometimes, though, I totally put my foot in my mouth. At work, I don’t dish out many compliments relating to appearance. I don’t think it’s appropriate and I’ve had the same very awkward situation happen three times. After that, I just do not. The first time it happened it involved my very sweet coworker. She was an exceptional employee with a great track record and personality. She, however, could have qualified as a participant in “What Not to Wear”.

On this particular morning, I noticed how stunning, yes, stunning she looked! Her hair was done, her makeup was appropriately applied, and she was wearing a very sophisticated black dress. I was so impressed, and as a “words of affirmation” person I thought it would be reinforcement if I mentioned it to her. I did – “Wow, what’s the special occasion today? You look great.” The response – “It’s my grandmother’s funeral.” Hear the crickets now, or this time of the year in the Southeast, the cicadas.

The next two times were very similar. Ever since then, if I see someone that typically does not dress up looking awesome (and wearing black), I say nothing. (I slipped one time because the outfit was not black and that person was going to court.) At the risk of causing awkwardness, I now say nothing.

This weekend I realized that I am doing the same thing regarding Salvation -Salvation meaning Jesus.  I’ve been acting as if I know nothing and in fearing the awkward moments of sharing, I do not. There are things I know. I’ve mentioned them before. There are things I don’t know, like when exactly Jesus will come again. It can be awkward to assign it a specific time and date. God has not asked us to do that, well, at least not me specifically. Perhaps I do know nothing and that is why I don’t share? God forbid! I shudder at the thought.

So I wonder if through my living I am reflecting what 2 Corinthians 3:3 says:  For as much as you are manifestly declared to be the letter of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.”

I wonder these things because I don’t know the day Jesus is coming. I just want to be ready. I also would like to avoid the awkward moment of being totally dressed up for the Wedding Feast and Jesus saying to me “Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you” – Matthew 25:12

Mathew 25:13 “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment